10 Fun Facts About Black Friday
Holiday |November 23rd, 2018
- September 24 of 1869 was the first day that Black Friday was mentioned.
- Black Friday became the biggest shopping day of the year in 2001. Up to that point, it was the Saturday before Christmas.
- Black Friday is the busiest day of the year for plumbers.
- 43% of people don’t find Black Friday shopping enjoyable.
- According to numbers by Statistic Brain, the average consumer spent around $380 in 2014.
- One year, people began camping out at a California Best Buy since Nov. 12.
- Many products promoted at deep discounts on Black Friday are “derivative products,” items that look like and are named the same as the standard model, but are made with cheaper components and may not have the same features.
- Seven people have died, and 98 people have been injured shopping since 2006 – mostly from stampeding and occasionally violent crowds.
- According to a retail consulting firm in Detroit, the last few days of the holiday shopping season will net shoppers better deals than Black Friday. Some products sell for 10 percent to 15 percent less.
- According to CNN, more than 12% of Thanksgiving shoppers turn up to stores under the influence of alcohol.